When it comes to lingerie and bras, the styles and fashion options are endless. Despite being stocked in every significant lingerie retailer forever, bralettes and soft cup bras have recently burst into the limelight, bringing a wealth of body positivity and new fashion. But does that mean we should ditch the traditional underwired bra in favour of this fashion-forward - and comfier - alternative? Or is it more complicated than that?
The Perfect Situation For Bras & Bralettes
Bras protect your chest and back from excess strain and help smooth out your figure. They are essential in every woman's wardrobe and have been around for over 100 years in their modern form. A correctly fitted bra should carry 80% of the weight of the chest, and the shoulders should bear the remainder.
The benefits of a well-fitted bra include the following:
- Show off cleavage
- Enhance the figure
- Prevent pain by providing support
A simple yet sexy bralette offers comfort that regular bras can't match. For years, we have been told bras are perfect for pushing up and accentuating your breasts to feel secure and supported. Nowadays, we have an alternate option with bralette styling. Bralettes are sexy and influence how our everyday clothing is worn and styled in the twenty-second century.
A correctly fitted bralette with cup shapes is popular for bigger bust sizes as they still support the back and shoulders. Visit one of our DeBra's stores for a complimentary fitting consultation and selection support.
Bras Vs Bralettes
Both are to cover and hold your breasts while you go about your day, but how they do this makes them different. Let us take a closer look at some of the differences.
- Underwire - An underwire is a popular addition to high-support bras for our bigger-bust ladies. The firm construction of an underwire bra helps hold breasts up regardless of size and shape, and Bralettes are generally non-wired. Bralettes offer support from the band and straps, which comes from the quality of the elastic.
- Padding - Bralettes provide a thin layer of coverage and are often made from a breathable material, making a perfect replacement for the padding in traditional bras.
When To Opt For A Bralette Over A Bra
Both bras and bralettes are suitable for different days depending on body shape and have distinct desires depending on where you are going and what you are doing. Oh, and let's not forget the style you want to achieve.
- Alter the appearance of your breasts. Many bras on the market can shape and lift your breasts; on the other spectrum, minimiser bras can reduce the appearance of your breasts.
- A padded and underwired bra will provide extra support; women with a larger bust often prefer the added support provided by a traditional bra.
- If you like to wear thin clothing or want a smooth silhouette for a sense of modesty, you may like to opt for a regular bra.
- If you prefer to embrace what you got, little or a lot, and show off your breasts with self-acceptance and love, you shouldn't ignore a well-fitted bralette.
- If comfort is on your priority list, you can't beat a good bralette's soft, gentle support.
- A bralette is made to be seen and popular amongst women who want to take centre stage with one of our all-stretch lace bralettes.
So, Bra Vs Bralette – Who Wins?
We hate to sound cliché, but both have their merits! With traditional bras becoming more fashion-forward and bralettes filling the gap between braless and heavy scaffolding, you should have both sitting in your lingerie drawer. For more information on storing and taking care of your bra, check out our article on bra care.
We like to compare bras to shoes. High Heels aren't the best choice when your feet hurt, and it's raining, just like underwired bras may not be the best choice under a halter neck. It's all about dressing for your body and your comfort. Bralettes can be the perfect addition to any wardrobe, along with your favourite underwires.
We're entering a new era of casual and complete body positivity, where women embrace their body shapes without the restriction of traditional scaffolding and wires.
Too many women out there are wearing the wrong size bra. Wearing a well-fitted bra can be a game changer that improves your posture, comfort, and confidence. DeBra's has a professional team of fitting consultants that can help you find the most comfortable and appropriate bra for your body size and shape. Our team is passionate about bras and has fitted women of all shapes and sizes for 22 years.